Monday, July 26, 2010

Fontaine Caffe & Creperie



Dan and I had planned on going to brunch at Carlyle in Shirlington Saturday morning (they have fantastic brioche french toast that I love, but go early on a Saturday or Sunday because if you go later and it's been sitting it gets soggy and that's never a good experience). However, Friday night sometime the power blew and all of the restaurants and shops on the left hand side of the street (Carlyle, Best Buns, Guapo's, etc.) were still without power come Saturday, so, this gave us the opportunity to try something new.




I found Fontaine when walking down Royal Street in Alexandria a few weeks ago (drawn by the little sandwich board sign by the curb on King street); I instantly thought of my mother and mother-in-law because they both love crepes. This is not a Dan kind of place necessarily--he likes a hearty breakfast--eggs, bacon/sausage, pancakes, etc., but he was quite a good sport.



He ordered a bloody mary--I love tomatoes but I've never cared for cold tomato juice. They fresh squeeze their juice at Fontaine and it certainly looked tasty, just not up my alley.



I had every intention of ordering their Bella sweet crepe (with nutella and strawberries) but I saw brioche french toast on the brunch menu and thought I would give that a whirl instead. It was really rather tasty--the brioche got a bit brown on the edges and could have used a smidge more cinnamon in my opionion, but on the whole it was rather tasty.


Dan ordered the Norwegian savory crepe which had smoked salmon and caramelized onion. He loves a bagel w/ lox for breakfast so he was aiming for this flavor combo when ordering. It had a light clean flavor, but Dan missed the texture a bagel provides that a crepe lacks.

We will certainly return--great coffee--tasty brunch--quaint atmosphere. I think Dan will try the Breakfast Bruschetta and I'll go with the Bella :)

No comments:

Post a Comment